The Best Way to Memorize Words in Another Language
Did you finish your French course two months ago and you’re already scared that you’re losing the fluency you worked so hard to attain? Do you sometimes struggle to remember essential Spanish words that you learned while doing a working holiday in Spain? It seems you’re in need of a toolbox to help you memorize words in another language!
Remembering new vocabulary can be a challenge, especially when you’ve lost touch with the target language for a while. If you feel that your language skills are slipping away, fear not. Here are some helpful tips that will help you remember words in another language and keep them with you for a long time.
1. Make learning a language a daily habit
Instead of planning an hour-long study session that you’ll be dreading the entire week, make the language-learning process a daily part of your routine. Dedicating 10 to 15 minutes a day to revising what you already know is the best way to prevent yourself from forgetting the things you worked so hard to learn.
Here are some things you can do every day to keep your memory working:
- Listen to songs: singing along with the lyrics will help you review keywords, compare your pronunciation to that of a native speaker, and even identify different accents within the target language.
- Watch television: listening and watching people use words in conversations is the best way to understand the flow of the language and remember words better. Besides, by watching TV series or movies in the language you’re learning, you can get a glimpse of the culture and the way people interact.
- Write words down: According to experts, the best way to memorize words in another language is to physically put them down on paper. Writing quotes from songs, TV shows or motivational phrases will help you cement the words in your memory faster than any other technique.
2. Play word games
When it comes to memorizing the words you’re learning, the best way is the fun way! With online apps, you can not only practice essential words in any language but create customized games from the words that you’re learning. This way, the learning process will become more interactive and engaging, especially if you get yourself a learning partner!
Here are some memory word games that you can play to remember words in another language:
- Hangman: The classic game of guessing the hidden word is the perfect way to practice spelling, increase your vocabulary and have fun at the same time.
- Word search puzzles: Find words in the grid according to their length and the given clues. This game is wonderful because it encourages you to bring to your memory every word you know in the target language and think both about their meaning and spelling.
- Word association: The best way to make the connection between the words and their meaning is by associating them with something that has the same sound or a similar definition. A great way to revise vocabulary in a meaningful context.
3. Take up a hobby in the target language
If you don’t want to give up language-learning time but you don’t have time to devote to actual study, why not start doing something that you already love doing but in the target language?
For example, if you like to read, why not look for the translated version of the books that you like? Or if you love cooking, find the recipes in the language of your choice. By doing the things that you enjoy but in the target language at the same time, any extra effort will become a fun activity. An activity where the words will stick more easily than with any boring study session.
Hobbies that will help you memorize words in another language
- Take a few music or drama lessons in another language: Whether you like playing the guitar or acting your heart out, doing something artistic in a different language will help you keep the words and the culture alive while engaging in an enriching activity.
- Visit the library. Stay in touch with a language and its culture by exploring fiction books, magazines or articles that interest you. Remember: the best way to memorize words in another language is to do activities relevant to your emotional and intellectual growth.
- Cook in another language: The kitchen is the perfect place to get the most out of the language. By reading the recipes and the instructions in the language you’re learning (or watching food tutorials on YouTube!), you can practice your reading skills while creating delicious dishes!
4. Take a conversation course with a native speaker
Without a doubt, the best way to memorize words in another language is by talking directly with people who are native speakers.
And, what if these native speakers were also qualified teachers with years of experience in the language?
Taking a conversation course with the right teacher will help you practice the basics while getting the opportunity to engage in more meaningful conversations.
After all, the best way to learn a language is by speaking it directly with people who have spoken it all their life. Only they understand all the nuances the language implies, especially for foreign learners.
Advantages of doing an online conversation course with Language Trainers:
- Flexibility: Study anywhere, any time. As long as you have a laptop or a cellphone, you can have the best language lessons wherever and whenever it suits you the most.
- Native teachers: Our teachers are native experts with the qualifications to help you get the most out of the language.
- Personalized feedback: Get the best study experience by receiving the feedback that suits your needs the most: from correcting the pronunciation of essential words to writing business emails that you can actually use at work.
- Customized lessons: No matter what method you choose, the best way to memorize words in another language is by having fun and engaging with the material through activities that you enjoy. Whether you want to learn a language for fun, for professional reasons or just because you want to travel the world, we will tailor the lessons so you get to learn exactly what you need to learn.
In conclusion, the best way to memorize words in another language is by engaging with the activities you enjoy the most. So, if you want to prevent yourself from forgetting the things you worked so hard to learn in another language, Language Trainers is the right choice for you.
With the help of our certified teachers and the personalized approach to the lessons, the language won’t just stick in your head but also in your heart! So what are you waiting for? Get ready to embark on the best language journey ever!